10 Apr 2017
Posted by: Amy Richardson Catagory: Face and Neck
WHAT IS DERMAPLANING?
A highly effective exfoliation procedure, dermaplaning involves the removal of the topmost layer of dead skin and vellus hair (or peach fuzz i.e. the tiny baby hairs) on a person’s face. The skin feels rejuvenated and smoother afterwards. A sterile surgical scalpel is used for the procedure similar to shaving. Once the skin is properly prepped it is scraped using a blade held at a 45 degree angle. At Changes Clinic our technicians are fully qualified for the procedure, making it totally safe for both men and women to be dermaplaned.
IS IT SUITED FOR ALL SKIN TYPES?
Dermaplane treatment is suited for most skin types including dry skin. However skin with acne (grade 3 and above) should not be dealt with. Breakouts should be clear before any treatment is done.
Moreover it is not advised to have the treatment on excessively oily skin. If the oil has no hairs to cling to the oil appearance will worsen. Pores can thus be blocked.
The treatment in the skincare clinic should not be carried out on the following people: cancer patients, people with blood conditions, people with uncontrolled diabetes, people using roaccutane, people with sunburn/windburn. For people with cold sores, the dermaplaning pro will use gloves.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF THE FACIAL?
Immediate dermaplaning benefits are:
- smoother skin (texture is improved)
- removal of vellus hair
- skin allows deeper and more effective penetration of skincare products
- For women makeup will have the tendency to glide on the skin instead of having a powdery effect
- skin breathes better
- acne scars are diminished
Dermaplaning is also used to help prepare skin for more intrusive procedures such as laser treatments and chemical peels.
An enzyme peel is carried out after dermaplaning to make sure that dead skin cells are removed from the pores.
HOW LONG DOES DERMAPLANING TAKE?
About 30 minutes
ARE THERE DERMAPLANING SIDE EFFECTS?
- The skin becomes more sensitive to sun exposure straight afterwards. Therefore the use of a broad-spectrum sunscreen SPF 30 or higher is recommended. There are no other side effects.
- After treatment the person looks more radiant with a more even skin tone and texture.